Saturday, 3 October 2015

Scream - The TV Show



You can't do a slasher movie as a TV series’ - or can you ?

Just in time for halloween, new series Scream has hit Netflix. It has general links to the original movie. Jokes about the rules of horror, a main character with a mother who has a mysterious past that comes back to haunt them, and of course the mask (though a re-vamped version).

I’m only a couple of episodes in so i'm trying to reserve some judgement. I like it. It’s easy watching. I’m not in love with it. Not yet. The characters are ok… but i’m having trouble connecting with any of them. I think Emma (the Neve Campbell of the series) is bland. Beautiful, popular, too nice and annoyingly naive. The only interesting thing about her is her mothers past. I hope her character develops and become more bad ass as the show goes on. 

The first scene opens is clearly a mirror of Drew Barrymore's opening scene. Rich girl alone in her big house which looks very similar to the original, huge windows and everything. Except this rich girl is a bitch which gives you some idea of what to expect from the rest of the series. Scream with a lot of American High School bitchy drama, sex tapes and all. It's a mix of the original film, Pretty Little Liars and other generic teen shows, a lot of which get referenced in the show.

Fans of Walking Dead and American Horror stories looking for their next horror fix are likely to be disappointed, but if your just looking for some light entertainment to pass some time on a cold autumn night give this a go.

Have you seen it?

- Ko x

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good series to get into for Autumn! I'm not a massive fan of walking dead but something more lighthearted sounds more up my street :) xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I litrally just started watching this programme, not so sure how I feel about it, but I sure do love horrors so it ticks that box!
    http://www.alifeofacharlotte.com/
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the review of this - Scream is such a classic horror film that I'm not sure how I feel about a PLL-esque series!

    Musings & More

    ReplyDelete
  4. i actually loved it! definitely keep going, hopefully you'll enjoy it more :)

    danielle | avec danielle

    ReplyDelete